View Single Post
Old 13-04-2006, 19:54   #63
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasfcuk
culturally i think it is easier to divide Europe in North-South, rather than East-West - meaninig more similarities.
Oh i agree, the real difference in Europe is between the North and the South, between the Nordic ones (people who historically communicated with each other through the North and Baltic seas and were mainly outside the Roman Empire) and the Mediterranean ones (people who historically communicated with each other through the Mediterranean sea and were inside the Roman Empire), different cultures and mentallities developped in those two areas.
Being a Northern French person, i feel culturally much closer to Brits, Scandinavians, or Germans than i do to Southern French people. And Southern French people feel culturally much closer to Italians or Spaniards than to Northern French people.
The West-East divide was only caused by a temporary political opposition that only lasted 40 years, in a few decades it will be all forgotten and we'll be back to the natural North South divide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasfcuk
even though people in EU can move around and get jobs anywhere they want, there is still sort of 'migrartion' process involved as the EU countries are still pretty culturally diverse.
That's true, but it all depends where you come from and where you move to.
For example, many French people from Languedoc-Rousillon (that's on the West French Mediterranean coast) have moved to Catalonia in Spain to work, those people are very close culturally, and those French people who work in Catalonia do not feel and are not perceived *at all* like immigrants, they are just seen like people who've moved from a neighboring region and have absolutely no problem to fit in.
Other similar examples include French people from Alsace and Lorraine who've moved to Bade-Wurtemberg in Germany, again very close culturally and not causing any problem, or French people from Normandy who've moved to Southern England.
Those small movements between neighboring EU members do not cause any problems and are not percieved at all on either side as immigration, just like people moving from a neighboring region like i said above, and those movements actually represent the majority of population movements in the EU. People who move very far from their original location and make some people freak out are a small percentage of population movements in the EU as a whole.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]