View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 21:03   #3
Postmodern

Oh, you're welcome.

It was said that it could be dangerous, though sciencists denied that. And, in fact nothing happened.

Here is the yesterday schedule:

Quote:
September 10th: First Beam Day

09:16 - The webstream seems to be suffering so much traffic that it's extremely hard to watch it live at CERN. Euronews and BBC World are broadcasting a LHC special, a good watch...if you live in Europe.

09:17 - 13 minutes and counting.....

09:30 - In a few minutes the first beam will be injected

09:34 - THE FIRST BEAM HAS BEEN INJECTED!!!

09:35 - All looks well, next up is tuning the magnets

10:00 - Small 'electrical problems' have been reported, nothing serious. I will post more info once I know it

10:50 - Sorry for the long wait for the next update, some RL issues needed resolving. The beam has circulated 3 times now, all is going well!

10:51 - We are waiting for the beam going in the opposite direction

11:03 - Still waiting for beam 2, it could take a while. According to BBC4 optimism is very high, the previous machine (LEP) took 12 hrs to get to the point where the LHC is now.

11:08 - Beam 2 is expected to be injected around 12PM (CET), if all goes well then they will start finetuning and open the bottles of champagne!

11:17 - According to the BBC, some small software problems have been reported, but again it's nothing serious. Beam 2 is still planned for 12 PM (CET)

11:43 - BBC has posted the first beam event seen in atlas!!!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/...1030_atlas.jpg

12:18 - Beam 2 will not be injected yet because of some minor problems with the magnets.

12:19 - The cooling problem has been sorted out, according to control centre beam 2 is ready to go!!!

12:27 - Unfortunately the cryogenic problem hasn't been resolved yet.

12:33 - The delay will be a minimum of 15 minutes, so if you have to eat...I suggest you do it now

12:56 - Some magnets still appear to be warmer then they should be. According to the BBC the delay will be at least another 45 minutes before they start with beam 2

13:35 - According to Gia's facebookstatus, the 2nd beam could take a few hours before it's injected. Considering the fact that she is Brian Cox's wife (and a well respected writer), I think this information is probably correct.

14:01 - I was afk for a short while sorry, it appears that beam 2 has been injected!

14:21 - Both beams make a full round trip of the LHC
(from their Facebook group)