View Single Post
Old 17-02-2009, 03:11   #2
--Shadow Soldier--

Send a message via ICQ to Cats_In_The_Hat Send a message via AIM to Cats_In_The_Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Cats_In_The_Hat Send a message via Skype™ to Cats_In_The_Hat
Noone has commented on this yet, but I feel like posting the next part anyway. I like this section except for Venom's character development, which I might go back and edit. It's just too weak to me and didn't have the intended effect....Oh well, here we go....

-----------------------------------------------------

1.1.2 The Beginning - Venom

Ember? She seems like she won’t betray me like everyone else in my life. Why was I so mean to her? I’ve got to show her that I’m not going to let anyone take advantage of me. Now, that last part - about the number, remember? - I wasn’t being a jerk. That’s my actual number: 817-3825-968, or, 817-FUCK-YOU. She’ll figure it out.

Now, there’s quite a background behind me, as you’ve probably already guessed, but you don’t honestly think I’m going to admit any of it right now? Why’d I save her? If she ended up dead, then it would be a lot of trouble cleaning up before someone big and important saw the mess and the story would end up on front page news. Then people would actually pay attention and might actually notice the way everything gets suddenly dull when I’m around. Why that happens still confuses me. It’s always been how I’ve seen the world - everything dull and lifeless. A deserted city street drained from newly fallen snow. Only in this case the streets aren’t deserted and I’m the snow. People seem to lose an interest in everything important to them when I’m near. Except for that girl Ember. There was something about her. A fire that refused to be extinguished. If she’s not careful, it’s going to consume her.

I’ve been able to read minds for as long as I can remember. I didn’t learn to control it until I was into my teens, though. So every thought from those people who have hurt me were as clear to me as though they were talking. You know how some people say that others don’t like to do what they do - that it’s to please something missing in themselves? It’s bullshit. Every one of them had thoughts of satisfaction. Ecstasy. No glimmer of remorse or even triumph. It was all about what was the now - not about filling in an ancient gap in their mind. Sure there was the revenge, but you don’t seek the bad. What people are missing are good feelings. Bad feelings aren’t missed.

The eyes? I don’t know about them. I remember that my vision started getting blurry and days later I realized that my irises were shrinking, then all that was left was my pupil which preceded to shrink into diamonds. Then it was like something awoke inside of me, yet I had always known I was different. I could render a full grown man helpless starting when I was eight. That may seem early, but it was years after I truly needed it. Yeah, you heard me. My childhood wasn’t all six-inch wide lollipop afternoons and two scoop ice cream evenings. I would think it’s like the hunt. And I don’t mean catching fish and cooking it. I’m talking savage man to beast fight. Bloodthirsty wolf versus worthless, gaunt, three days hungry, strength less man.

Yeah. That’s how it was on a good day.

But anyway, I had always had an inhuman strength and I had always assumed it was one of those phenomena that people always quibbled about. Sort of like those stories of women that are 120 pounds lifting a two ton car in an attempt to save their trapped children. Sort of like that. Except that the only thing I was protecting was myself. To this day, I’ve never cared about another person. Yeah, I’ve saved people from certain death. Call me a feminist, but I’ve only saved women thus far. You can probably guess that I have a fairly natural (and proven) distrust towards men. But anyway - I have saved peoples lives, but never for their own good. There’s always an underlying motive that fuels me behind it. Back to that filling that childhood gap I was talking about. I feel good when I see myself saving people going through what I’ve been through instead of letting it happen. Quite a few diabolical minds have been broken by my hands.

Now about the girl. Ember. That fire. I’ve seen it before. It was in him, before he…Never mind. Then I felt that closing in my throat and the bridge of my nose began to burn and I found that it was happening again. Tears slipped down my cheeks. White-hot tears that burned more than the first time I felt the effects of poison. It had been nine months since the last time I cried. I hardly ever knew what really brought it on and it came without warning. Like the hate and pain I’ve witnessed. I don’t know where it all comes from and under its influence, everything happens fast.

And that’s when the phone rang.

--------------------------------

1.2 The Incident - Ember

So I figured out the truth behind Venom’s trick. 817-FUCK-YOU.

I was just lying on my bed with the phone on my chest, thinking about all that had just happened. I turned the phone up to look at the buttons and then it dawned on me what she had been talking about. I carefully dialed the number and it picked up after the third ring.

“Hello?” Came Venom’s hiss from the other end of the phone.

“Venom?” I asked.

“Yes?” I must have jumped ten feet in the air because the voice no longer came from the phone, but from right next to me on the bed. I scrambled to my feet and looked down at her. She looked like she had been laying there for an hour - all hands behind her head and crossed legs. The nonchalant manner in how she did it got me the most though. Since I witnessed her teleportation once before, it didn’t render me speechless or dubious like it would most people.

“You really gotta stop doing that.” I sighed, pointing in her direction. Her lips curled up in a devious smirk and I suddenly felt a twinge in my stomach, but I suppressed it quickly. She sat up and looked me square in the eye. God, she was beautiful. But in a mystifying way. Most people would be repelled by her appearance, but I was drawn to her.

“You really think I’m beautiful?” She asked shyly. My eyes were probably bulging insanely.

“How did you-?” Then I realized it. She reads minds.

“Took you long enough.” She sighed, rolling her eyes. “Believe me - if you knew anything about me, I’d be the farthest thing from beautiful.” She gave me a sheltered gaze.

“You’re not the only one who’s been through a lot.” I admitted. My mind wandered back to the past, flashes of his face contorted in agony playing themselves behind my eyes, and then I realized I made the mistake of thinking about it when I saw another smirk stretch Venom’s black painted lips, exposing her fangs again. I heard a hiss rumble in her throat and she chuckled.

“Who knew you were such a wildcat?” She laughed. No! Now she knew the one thing I vowed to never tell anyone. About her and him. What I did to him. “Mmm. Wow - you’re insane. That’s just - horrifying.”

“Yeah, don’t remind me…” I mumbled.

“Amazing. Who knew a human was capable of that?” She asked.

“If you haven’t noticed, I’m not exactly human.” I growled, showing off my fangs. She let out a low hiss in response.

“So. What did you want to talk to me for?” She asked, quickly changing subjects. I shrugged - I honestly didn’t know myself - I was just seeing if that was really her number.

“Oh, well if that’s all, then I might as well get going.” She said, getting up.

“You should really ask my permission before you do that.” I informed her.

She brushed the front of her pants with her hands and looked at me again. “Now, what did you really want? And tell the truth, because I’m not in the mood to search for the answer again. Your mind is really wild, ya know it? You must have A.D.D. or something. Trying to pinpoint one of your thoughts is like trying to find a piece of hay in a needle stack.”

“I thought it was a needle in a haystack?”

“Not in your mind.” She gave a knowing grin.

“Figured as much…Wait, I thought mind readers are only able to hear someone’s current thoughts?” I asked. She gave a slight chuckle.

“Common misconception. It’s more like going to Google and typing a random phrase - it sometimes gives you what you’re looking for, but there’s a whole bunch of other crap you don’t need swimming around. The mind doesn’t take on one process at once.”

Yeah, no shit Sherlock. I thought.

“Hey, I heard that.” She growled.

“I know.” I shot back. “Anyway, I just kinda wanted to talk. Ya know, get acquainted.”

She looked hard and deep into my eyes for a second or two, and then stopped.

“Alright, where to?”

After I turned my appearance so that I was full human, I took Venom to one of my favorite restaurants. It wasn’t that well known and not many people were out at this hour, so the place was fairly empty save for a few scattered people asking the bartender to hit them (not literally, of course).

We took a table in a dark corner and ordered a couple drinks. The waiter came back, looking weary, and clunked the glasses on the table, then walked off. I looked across the room and saw a middle-aged couple cuddling, drunken with love; it made me think about my parents.

“You miss them, don’t you?” Venom’s voice echoed in my ear. I didn’t say anything. I didn’t have to. She knew the answer. “How long ago did it happen?” 5 years. “Do you know who killed them?” I clenched my jaw at the bluntness of the question. Yes. “Rethink that one. Did you know who killed them? Personally?” …Yes. “You couldn’t stop it, could you?” … “You weren’t strong enough to stop them. You didn’t even try to save them. You were too weak. You were afraid to die.” And at that I lost control.

--------------------------------------

Well, yeah...

Last edited by Cats_In_The_Hat; 17-02-2009 at 03:30.