View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 09:31   #239
Участник

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl View Post
God, finally somebody in the EU said something!
I'm aware that relations with Russia are... "delicate" to say the least, but to abandon an EU member in a pretty volatile situation is pretty shitty, IMHO.

Not to say Estonia shouldn't fight their own battles (I mean Goddamn, at least fight in instances where you know you can have a chance at winning), but come on, a little solidarity people!
They got too much support as it is. The reason they didn't get more was because public opinion in most EU countries strongly disagrees with Estonia in the Bronze soldier case. The Estonian government is strongly anti-Russian, and will gladly accept any oppertunity to express this sentiment; even at the cost of their national stability. It's a trend in Europe I guess, making one group the scapegoat, heating up the situation with your actions, and creating a political platform out of the situation you've just worsened.

I don't know if you've ever been in Estonia, but it's quite shocking to see how the government of an EU memberstate treats 30% of its population as second class citizens.

Then again, the EU-label doesn't mean anything when it allows memberstates to outlaw political youth organisations because they hold the opinion that private ownership should be replaced with collective ownership of the means of production (Czech Republic; what happened to freedom of speech?). Then again, no legal action against this organisation (KSM) was taken, until its mother-party was receiving 25% in the polls, whereas the governing Social Democrats were under 9%, so there were probably some ulterior motives