View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 21:05   #10
The Dream is Over, :~(

Isn't catwoman bisexual?
I always though she was.

And really Batman is gay, this is widely understood. Him and Robin.

Offtop:
The word "white", on this side of the Atlantic or Pacific, traditionally implies class as well as race. Newly landed European immigrants during the the 1900s were not considered white. Irish, Italians, Russians, Polish, etc. all not considered white at that time. Now they are white as they have enter the upper class of American society. Jews are also considered white now seeing as they have also entered the upper class. Hispanics have too though to a much lesser degree.

But it isn't so much of being wealthy. IMHO, I think whiteness in America denotes a erasure of any other culture outside that of the upperclass (that being traditionally British). So there has been some backlash to it. Italian Americans create their own segregated communities to retain their culture. Though they would probably identify with being white if necessary (like on a survey), they would often separate themselves from white people in general conversation.

Obviously, there's a flipside to this backlash. Black people trying to succeed in school or in their careers are seen as "acting white" by their peers, which is a huge insult. Because white is synonymous to upperclass, black therefore is synoynmous to lowerclass. So Black people stay lowerclass to retain their culture (which is futile in itself because it'll only find it's way into pop culture). To make things more complicated, there is a backlash to this backlash.

It isn't just with whiteness either. Apparently I have heard, heard that there are some Black people in the States that don't consider East Africans to be black, but it has only been grumblings really. Just like White people, Black people too can look different from one another.

All this is pretty much limited to the States. In Canada, the divide has always been between French and English. Before Trudeau arrived, French Canadians were forced to "speak white," speak English, that is. This runs consistent with the notion that WASP = Upperclass. The whole white/black thing doesn't apply here because most Black people in Canada came here as immigrants at the same time (around the 80's) as other immigrants from Asia, Europe, S. America, etc. Before then, the only Black people in Canada were the ones from Halifax, they're descendants of American slaves that escaped.

To tell you the truth though, I think the whole talk of race is pointless seeing as that race is a social construct. Race is fluid. Lock up the borders of Canada now, let nobody in or out, and fast forward to 2000 years from now and you'll have a brand new race right here.

In any case, racial politics is a really, really, really complicated issue.