View Single Post
Old 24-04-2007, 06:09   #53
ex-sunnich

Send a message via ICQ to la aurora Send a message via MSN to la aurora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyubittu View Post
Every country, every person, and everything deserves democracy and freedom. It is not democracy that turns an ugly face on the country it's being brought into, it's the country that turns against democracy.
I didn't mean that democracy can be bad on it's own. I meant than in situation we had here after USSR collapse, such things as chaos, loyality to criminal things as so on were considered a part of democracy. By saying 'country that is not ready for democracy' I first of all meant the 'country that can't draw a strict line between democracy and something else, country where some proper democratic things don't work due to other factors that have to be dealt with first'.

Yeltsin indeed was an open-hearted, easy and somewhat funny person. He's been a part of the nation more than a president. He made many things that will be remembred as political mistakes but it's a big sress being a president of one of the biggest countries in the world coming through major changes. I don't think many people will have a chance to prove they can do better in similar situation. It happens once in many centuries.

R.I.P., Boris Nikolaevitch

I wouldn't compare him to either Putin or Gorbachov though. It's not only 'easy personality' that makes a good president. Grobachov and Putin are quite 'fun' on their own. They are just different.