View Single Post
Old 18-12-2004, 22:06   #80
Участник

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr0k0
I read something about Gypsies being oppressed in Romania, that's the most untrue story
This sort of attitude is widespread among Romanians. Like in other Central and Eastern European countries, Roma (Gypsies) actually experience tremendous discrimination in Romania. I've heard the kind of opinions that even educated and otherwise liberal Romanians express. Rates of unemployment are very high largely because of blatant discrimination in job hiring. Most Romanians perceive all Roma as stupid, lazy and criminal and see nothing wrong in such discrimination. Most Roma children are classified by the authorities as 'mentally handicapped' and put into a separate education system supposedly for the mentally handicapped, but mostly for normal Roma children. Roma are frequently subjected to violent attacks and the police do not intervene to protect them. There is police violence, torture and deaths in custody - most of the victims are Roma. Amensty International's 2003 report on Romania commented on this phenomenon.

I don't have something in for Romania. Much the same is true of other Central European and Balkan countries. But it's a real problem that needs to be recognised, not denied.