View Single Post
Old 30-10-2004, 21:51   #63
iMod

People who follow EU politics know that the new EU commission has been rejected a few days ago by the EU parliament. The main reason being that one of the commissioners, Rocco Buttiglione, has made homophobic and misogynistic comments which have outraged the left wing of the EU parliament.

This is good news for EU democracy, since the EU parliament is directly elected by the people whereas the EU commission is appointed by the 25 governments. In a way, it's a victory of the people against the governments.

What is more worrying is that apparently this new commission only lacked about 30 votes (out of 732 EU MPs) to be accepted. This shows that the conservative side is still very strong in Europe, the liberals had the majority, but only a thin one.

This event is also a perfect example of what i've been saying about Turkey's membership and how it's going to unbalance the EU.

Each time the EU is dealing with "sensitive" issues (like gay rights for example) there is always an almost equal repartition between conservatives and liberals, most of the time the liberals win, but only by a thin margin.

That will change when Turkey is a member, Turkey will add about 120 MPs to the EU parliament, almost all conservatives! The balance between conservatives and liberals will be broken with the Turkish MPs, the conservatives will become the large majority in the EU parliament.

I've seen a lot of people saying that once Turkey is a member, it will become more liberal but the recent events show that it's the opposite that is going to happen. With Turkey as a member, it's the whole EU that is going to become more conservative.

If Turkey had been a member now, this new commission would have had enough votes to be accepted, and now we would have a homophobic and misogynistic commissioner.
Knowing that the EU will become much more conservative in the future is definitely not good news, at least not for someone like me.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]