View Single Post
Old 19-02-2012, 18:50   #14
Martian Eyes

Yesterday I watched the Ukrainian decision, more to watch the next scandal than for musical reasons. Well, no scandal unfortunately, but quite a good competition. It lacked the really great songs and performances but the quality of almost all the songs and performances was at least above average, even the bloody amateurs were hardly any worse than the professionals.

The winner is Gajtana (Gajta Lourdes Essami her true name) with the song Be My Guest, by far not one of her best songs, but she showed as always a remarkable stage presence.

Second was Max Barskih with Dance. A good entry, but not exactly a winner song.

The opera singer Oksana Nesterenko became third, with a song from the German ESC-composer Oldie Ralph Siegel, Mondo Blu. Great voice and not a bad composition.

My personal favourite was Renata Stiefel with the song Love In Sunlight Rays, not only because it was written by Alyosha, who represented Ukraine in 2010. Unfortunately the young lady is practically unknown, so she didn't even have to expect a lot of SMS votes, however she won that part of the vote with huge margin. The professional jury obviously had a presentiment of that and voted her only at No. 16 of 21 contestants, the total result was No. 6 then. Seems very unfair, but it's understandable. Which neighbour country would vote for her in Baku, if nobody knows her?

My highlight of the evening was in the part during the voting with Zlata Ognevich's performance of One Day. Her producer composed the song for Eurovision, but after the nerve-kililing scandal of last year there was no way to persuade her for another ESC competition.