Thread: Mylène Farmer
View Single Post
Old 30-03-2005, 05:36   #17
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by forre
Here is my take. The song is built out of contradictions which resemble pretty much of the things happening around us and often referred as double standards, so Mylene says go to hell to double standards of the modern world. I don't know, I think the meaning is enough obvious.
I have a -possibly- false interpretation of the video in my mind: that MF herself is the perpetrator of her alter ego's killing who then goes to "avenge" her death, so the scarecrows are accomplices. She commits suicide -in a sense- afterwards, so it comes full circle. Maybe the little detail of the "black blood" pool morphing into a crow ( crow-scarecrow? ) is a clue? So the paranoid MF kills the innocent version of her - the one in the cage; but she's also a victim.

or then again, maybe not

This silly reading of mine might hold some water when it comes to interpreting the song's message as aiming at society's hypocricy and double standards. The scarecrows - rigid, static - may be symbolic of our society's values, norms and preconceptions.

Consistent with the song's lyrics, we get the two sides of Mylene in the video, the delicate side ( the captive ) and the paranoid side ( the warrior ).

"Of innocent nature we handle elegance" ( the crows are the example )
"And with an expert hand a sword pierces us" ( but we are the ones who arm the hand, cause it's the world of our own making )

It makes sense to me that way.