View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 15:46   #9
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
First of all thanks to Web GoddesS for correcting my russian. I wrote it like I heard it, purely by intonation; I corrected the ones in my post as well- hope you don't mind.

coolasfcuk: I know exactly what you meant with one "narod". You said that there were three language groups on the balkan territory: Bulgarian Slavic, Croatian Slavic, and Serbo Slavic...hmmm I wonder where that puts us the slovenes. Because our language differs very much from croatian and serbian (those two are much more alike and slovene is pretty different from them...although still similar of course...). As far as I remember from the top of my head around the year 1000, we spoke "stara cerkvena slovanscina" (old catholic slavic). I can still understand that language vaguely and it was like slovene mixed with a bunch of other slavic languages.

I get the fact that southern slavic languages have quite a bit of similarities, what I don't understand is why are some of those similarities even in russian and other slavic languages that had nothing to do with the balkans. I know we were a part of one "narod" at some point, but that was probably thousads of years ago and from then on some slavic people moved to the west (like chechs, slovaks, polish...), some to the east (like russians, ukraininans...), and some to the south (like bulgarians, serbo-croats, slovenes) - although nations weren't defined then yet... So it's amazing how some similarities remained after such a long period of time.

Also: could you give me an example of what 'padezhi' means? I think I know, but I'm not really sure.

slovene:
How are you? = Kako si? - you can also say kak si? informal
Good. And you? = Dobro. Pa ti?

Too similar
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.