View Single Post
Old 30-04-2007, 09:20   #65
Can You See Them Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Order View Post
Well, I don't have an awful lot of confidence in your assertion that you have no transsexuals in your state.

Gender Identity and Expression can take a LOT of different forms. Technically speaking, a boy who wears girls jeans (re: "emo boys") is cross-dressing, and that is transcending the gender barrier and being transgender, though not to the same degree as a transsexual.

Did a small bit of research and here are a few links to some Transgender support groups for transgender people:

http://www.tgcrossroads.org/resource...d=242&state=SD
http://www.tgcrossroads.org/resource...t=MTF&state=SD

I don't know, kind of make me wonder why there would be support groups for a population that doesn't exist, eh?

I would disagree with the law not having a purpose: A state can send a powerful message to it's citizens by standing up for an individual's right to lead a happy life without worrying about being fired from work, kicked out of a home, or blatantly attacked on the street by a group of punks screaming "tranny! you look like a girl! effing fa**ot!" with no chance of legal hate-crime recourse.

And well dude, I'm not transgender, but you better BELIEVE I care enough for people who are that I would lobby my state for protections for them. White men lobbied to give black folks the right to vote and ban racial discrimination, and men helped women get the right to vote.

I'm actually lobbying now for a bill at the RI General Assembly that would outlaw hate-crimes based on Gender Identity/Expression because I think it is wrong. It's the one thing RI law doesn't protect against, sadly. Lesbians that cut their hair short like a boy's are affected by Gender Identity legislation, just like boys that wear short-shorts are sometimes picked on for dressing like girls. I've heard some of the testimony... not all of it just impacts the transgender community.

Dear you need to read my post on the last page. I do not believe in "gender identity", and neither do many people. It's something you learn, you are not born with it. Gender identity support groups are there for no purpose other than to provide comfort. They are baised and do not give oppinions from both sides of the argument. - Study up some psychology and where the term came from to understand what it is.

Quote:
"tranny! you look like a girl! effing fa**ot!" with no chance of legal hate-crime recourse.
Anytime someone attacks another person I believe it's out of hate? So why give some guy another 5 years in prison becuase he happened to be attacing a tranny? Hmm? Are you aware of the damage hate crimes do? - A boy who eats lunch at school containing pork was nearly prosecuted because he was sitting next to an Islamic child. That is not something we need happening just because transgenders exist. - You CHOSE to be a transgender and get a sex change, you do not chose your sexuality. I do not believe something you could have prevented/not done should be grounds for someone else to be punished for a "hate crime".

Quote:
I would disagree with the law not having a purpose: A state can send a powerful message to it's citizens by standing up for an individual's right to lead a happy life without worrying about being fired from work, kicked out of a home, or blatantly attacked on the street by a group of punks screaming "tranny! you look like a girl! effing fa**ot!" with no chance of legal hate-crime recourse.
As I said, we don't have a large enough population IF any. Honestly, you've probably never even been to the state I live in, so please don't insinuate that there are transanything here. I'm almost 100 percent confident that there are not.