View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 04:30   #186
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by haku
We can't allow people to bring back medieval obscurantism in our societies, whether it's in the name of "religion" or "tradition", and if those muslim women really can't live according to the rules of western societies, there are a number of islamic countries where they can immigrate and live happily under the sharia, but the sharia has no place in Europe.
That's a but extreme, isn't it? In that case we should simply burn down all the mosks and buddhist temples all over Europe and maybe even churches while we're at it, since we can't alow "medievil obscurantism in our society".

I mean I understand your point up to an extent. I'm an agnostic and everything concerning religion seems terribly amusing (almost ridiculous) in my eyes. But I only tend to look at it as tradition. Liek Oktoberfest is a tradition and no one looks down on those Germans for getting pissed out of their minds every year. Like all traditions... I try to accept it. Supposedly that's what our liberal society is supposed to be good at.

And from what I've heard those muslim women who wear it don't consider themselves as being "oppressed". I'm sure that has something to do with how they were brought up, but still... who are we to tell them their ways are wrong. One consequence of running an open-minded secular society is also to be tolerant of religions and their practices.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.