Thread: Gay High School
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 06:41   #63
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
i don't give up.
this is repeating history. does anyone see that? segregation of blacks repressed them [they went hand in hand really] and it took much political and civil unrest to unify the standard and equalize everything. equality is an ideal, an impossible medium by which we can never reach, however we can come close on a political level.

in a world, where by now, there is still some prejudice but only by the very nature of humans in general, people should not be segregated. in a gay highschool, where gay bi and transgendered kids will be protected, i ask this, what are they being protected from? from other kids bullying them because they are gay? come on. kids are kids. they bully each other for many reasons, some as common as the kind of clothes they wear and the kind of grades they get. the bigger picture is: orientation, and another issue, because it is not a choice. no one chooses to be gay or straight. its biological/emotional. putting gay/transgendered kids in a school provides safety for them temporarily but this safety net is but a temporary euphoria, maybe. they are amongst people like them and surrounded by educators who understand. it's "safe" with minimal possibility of threats.

within the school is one side, what about the flip? they can't be protected from other kids. like i said, kids bully each other no matter what. also, putting gays together emphasizes the fact that they ARE gays. again, repeating history. grouping similar race/orientations puts more pressure to repress than to learn about and learn from. and since they are gay, being with different people is a logical way of mutual learning. [this having already been said by many] although that comes with sticks and stones, learning has always be a difficult process.

putting kids together in a school, protects them yes, but from non straight forces. but from each other? i highly doubt. and the world after this "gay" school? as in college? where the majority amount of people aren't gay anyway. then off to the real world, where, oh yes, 90% of ppl are straight. what then? gay communities? gay cities? gay countries? it can go on...i'm very tired..

my highschool along with most, was not gay oriented. i was figuring things out and afraid to talk about it...then college came along and i found others as i am, BENT, and it was much easier. we live in a primarily straight world and to segregate children in efforts to protect them seems backwards in efforts to integrate the masses, create more diversity and result in much openness.

my 4 cents

Lux.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Completeā„¢ forever

I never thought it would be this clear | Lux [ light-ness@hotmail.com ]

Last edited by Lux; 02-08-2003 at 06:49.