View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 08:23   #225
Gaga ftw!

Send a message via AIM to Khartoun2004 Send a message via MSN to Khartoun2004 Send a message via Skype™ to Khartoun2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyubittu View Post
It really doesn't need to be dissected. If New England was really that liberal, gay marriage would be legalized throughout the entire region. Liberal policies are good, but gay marriage - seriously? Three states out of the entire US allow the union, and only two of them are in the northeast. The point isn't how it happens, but that it's legal. It's a great step forward, especially in the midwest (And actually, you'd want to check out Minnesota if you're looking for the most liberal Midwestern state). People bitch and bitch about how the government doesn't respect what its ethical or humane, and when it actually does (case and point, Iowa's supreme court overturning the decision to ban gay marriage) - people like you complain that it doesn't reflect the public's overall opinion on the issue just to have something to say. Seriously, don't turn it into an argument. Just be happy that these people can live a lifestyle previously unavailable to them now.
I was only pointing out the fact that Progressive and Midwest do not belong in the same sentence. It has nothing to do with Iowa passing gay marriage.

But since we're on the subject of every other state in the Midwest versus New England. Every New England State has something (with the exception of RI, but they will honor same sex marriages performed in MA or elsewhere, so everyone just goes to MA anyway). MA and CT have Same-Sex Marriage, VT and NH have Civil Unions, Maine has Domestic Partnerships which are similar to that thing the UK has.

Now the Midwest... Iowa is the only state with Marriage... and every other state in that region has either a statue banning same-sex marriage or a constitutional amendment which not only bans marriage, but also any same sex unions no matter what it's called. And sorry but Constitutional Amends are a bitch and a half to change. So I doubt any other state in the Midwest will be legalizing it any time in the near future.

Here's a map to show you what I'm talking about Same-Sex Marriage in the USA.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Alexander
EPIC!!!!!!
Velvet ropes and guitars
Yeah, cause you're my rock star in between the sets
Eyeliner and cigarettes