View Single Post
Old 29-01-2007, 17:28   #25
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
I think this discussion about inteligence distribution favouring coastlines (or anykind of geographical separation for that matter - North-South as well) is a bit skewed. Even if we're talking about about averages. It'd probably make a bit more sense to discuss possible average inteligence fluctuations in bustling metropolises with +500.000 inhabitants as opposed to rural areas. And this probably goes for the world as a whole, not just the USA. Large masses of people living in relatively confined spaces tends to shape the populace into an entity that's not just more inteligent, cultural and spiritual but also less prone to bigotry and narrow-mindness. Just goes to show you humans develop better and faster in large "herds".
This probably has something to do with educational system and people leaving smaller communities to go study in larger cities. Simply brain-drain. We had a nice representation of that in Slovenia before the world wars when everyone who was smart enough (and could afford it) went to study in Vienna and got germanized in the process. There was simply no city important or large enough to host a renowned university. Hence the nation's decline in any kind of scientific or cultural activity was striking. And this intelectual eclipse lasted for as long as Ljubljana University didn't get it's proper international status as a serious educational institution.

But yeah... on average I don't see why a large city in the midwest - say Chicago - would be any less enlightened than cities like Boston or San Francisco.

Offtop:
Talyubittu since you're obviously failing to see my mod remarks I'm going to try this one more time. It's "OPINION" damn it!&/%$
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.