View Single Post
Old 17-12-2008, 05:50   #14
no....

Of the literature ones Khartoun didn't answer i've got:
6. Who wrote the story "The Old Man and The Sea"?
Ernest Hemingway (he also wrote "The sun also rises")
4. Who was "An American Tragedy" written by?
Theodore Dreiser
7. Who is considered to be the "Father of American Literature"?
I think this is a bit suggestive of a question, but in general i think people say it's Washington Irving (of The Legend of Sleepy Hallow fame).

and then:
Famous people:
1. Which American astronaut first stepped on the surface of the Moon? Niel Armstrong
2. Whose name was given to America?
3. Who was the 43rd president of the USA? Dubya
4. Which of the US presidents was a Famous Hollywood Actor? Reagan
5. Who created the best animated cartoons in the USA? Ummm... isn't this an opinion
6. Who was the first president of the USA? Washington, George
7. Under which two names did the most famous American boxer of the 1960s and 70 fight in the ring? That bee guy, Muhammad Ali ... i can't remember the other name
8. Who is the author of the Declaration of Indepence? Thomas Jefferson
9. Which American rock-and0roll star lived in Memphis, Tennesee? Elvis Presley
10. Who was the youngest elected President in the history of the USA? Kennedy (does this still stand? is obama younger?

Geography:
1. How many time zones is the continental part of the USA divided to? 5 for mainland, i think it's like 6 or 7 if you include the territories
2. What is the last American state? Hawaii
3. In which city and state is Disney World located? Orlando, Florida
4. Name the five Great Lakes: Erie, Ontario, Superior, Huron, Michigan
5. Which state is the smallest? Rhode Island
6. What two islands is New York situated on? Manhattan and Long Island
7. What oceans is the USA border red by? Atlantic and Pacific
8. What is the largest city in the USA? NYC
9. What is America's largest state? in geographic size... Alaska
10. What is the longest river in the USA? Mississippi River

Culture:
1. Which American film star is called "The Little Framp"? ... umm, if you mean Little Tramp... you'd be referring to Mr. Charlie Chaplin
2. Where is the centre of cinema production in the USA? Hollywood
3. What monument in Washington (DC), dedicated to an American president is nicknamed "The Pencil"? The Washington Monument
4. Who was the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty? ... haha, most people here would say "the french" more specifically, i don't know... i've heard it was Gustave Eiffel but i think it was more of his company that made it and not that he was responsible for it's design
5. What city is Hollywood in? Los Angeles
6. What was the first "talking" film in the US? The Jazz Singer (you can thank my numerous film history courses here)
7. What was the first American University? ... Harvard (?)
8. What is the national anthem of the USA? Star Spangled Banner
9. What is the famous library in Washington? The Library of Congress (i'm assuming, it's the only one worth visiting in this town)
10. What memorial is built in honour of the 16th President of the USA? The Lincoln Memorial

1. What was the original number of English colonies on America? 13
2. When was the "Declaration of Independence" signed? 1776
3. What ship brought a group of English Protestants to America in 1620? Mayflower
4. Which famous event happened in California in 1849 was glorified in films and boks? ... no idea
5. During which period of American history was the novel "Gone with the Wind" set? Civil War Area
6. Who was the longest-serving US president? Franklin Delano Roosevelt
7. Give the names of the three ships on which C. Columbus made his first voyage to America? Santa Maria, Pinta and Nina
8. Which country presented the USA with statue of Liberty? What was the occasion? France via the French Revolution
9. Which American general, who later became the 34th president, commanded all US? Eisenhower

alright, i answered all i could without looking stuff up

Last edited by thegurgi; 17-12-2008 at 06:46.