View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 13:19   #40
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
I disagree, your citizenship determines your nationality at least in North America it does. I was born in the UAE, and even if I stayed there for the rest of my life I would never become a citizen. The same policy applies to most oil rich countries in the Middle East.
Well, your example is of an Arab ( muslim ) country. We were talking about Europe, maybe I used a generalisation but it is the same all over Europe and in every civilised society it's the same. Ok, I presume UAE are a civilised society too but their mentality is different, and so are their laws. Queenbee was saying that she doesn't feel Swedish, although she does have the Swedish nationality. I'm sure it's the same for millions of other people who are torn between different cultures.

The place of birth detemines your nationality, haven't you heard of people abusing that system before (ie. moving to a different country just to give birth so that their children can bear the nationality of the place they briefly reside in, lol )

And about Lux's last comment: I don't think this is a bashing of all things American, at least not in my point of view. As a matter of fact I might be visiting in 2007 if that makes any difference.. We're discussing the way the U.S. has presented itself to the world since the end of WWII and that does not draw a very rosy picture. Lately it has gone even worse under the George Bush's leadership.
I think that the US of A will have to re-evaluate the way it deals with the rest of the planet; after all, we're all in this together.
We'll have to try and see things from the standpoint of those who don't necessarily aspire to exercise ther influence upon others, but wish to coexist in peace.