View Single Post
Old 28-06-2003, 23:20   #7
ROCK FOR LIGHT

The worst part about this whole thing is that Lars Ulrich of Metallica is basically responsible for starting this whole uproar of how artists are being "ripped off". This is kind of ironic since the Metallica song Enter Sandman(one of their most successful songs) is a blantant ripoff of a riff in a song called "Tapping Into the Emotional Void" by an old metal/hardcore crossover band from Cali called Excel. Excel released the song on their album "The Jokes On You" in 1989 and openned some gigs for Metallica the same year. When Metallica's next album came out in 1991 the openning riff was very similar to the openning riff in "Tapping Into the Emotional Void". I mean it's way too similiar to be coincidence. To my knowledge no one from Excel was ever credited in any way for writing the riff. Anyway I guess I'm getting off-topic but the point is the person responsible for this whole file-sharing controversy (most likely because his band hasn't realeased a good record in over 10 years) is a total dickhead because he's partially responsible for blantantly ripping off another artist as it is. I'd love to see the guys from Excel take Metallica to court and take a large sum of the money that seems to be oh so important to those scumbags. On a side note, anyone who's into fast 80's metal/thrash should definitely check out Excel. "The Joke's On You" record totally smokes and is way better than anything Metallica ever did post-1986.
~~~~~~~~~~~
as sick as i am, i would never be you