View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 00:24   #25
Yearning

Send a message via AIM to dare2dream28 Send a message via MSN to dare2dream28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
When you are mad enough to do this kind of thing something bad is gonna end up happening. He pretty much had a death wish
I just KNEW there was going to be a reaction like this when I posted the news. I just flipping KNEW IT. I'm going to say right now that I'm about to flip my lid because I've been dealing with shitty comments ALL FREAKING DAY about Steve and I simply cannot take it anymore (basically, I'm not singling out Rachel, I'm venting in general).

First off, for all of you that know how big of a Shania fan I am, Steve Irwin is like Shania to me as far as my role model so yes, I am taking things personally here.

Now for my rant:

Steve was NOT crazy/mad. He was the most PASSIONATE person out there!!!!!! He CARED for wildlife and worked SO damn hard at spreading the word to people about saving his beloved animals. Steve worked his ass off his whole life toward "conservation through education" and he did a damn good job. He altered millions of people's views about animals previously percieved as nothing other than things that make good hats or jewlry. He INSPIRED people to work at conserving animals and to protect them! He was such a phenomenal wildlife warrior! He truly had a magnificent gift with wildlife (don't you dare say a sarcastic remark to this...one fucking freak accident does NOT diminish all he's accomplished throughout his life) and I think it was wonderful that he decided to share his experiences with us via his shows, movie, documentaries, etc.

Who else had the guts and the skill to get *that* close to the animals and give us, the audience, such a different perspective?? Of all the times he handled snakes, he was NEVER bitten by a venemous one...that's one huge accomplishment! And look at all the times he handled the crocodiles & alligators WITHOUT anything going wrong! For pete's sake, he even jumped on Grahm, one of the largest crocs, during a heavy rain, where he was EXTREMELY vulnerable and saved his best mate, Wes!!! THE MAN KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING and don't anyone DARE insinuate that he didn't!!!!!!!

YES, his job had obvious risks, but just like he brought up in 2004...his mother was around dangerous animals on a daily basis just like he was, and she got killed in a CAR ACCIDENT! If a firefighter got killed during a fire, would you say he didn't know what he was doing? NO! It's a risk that comes with the job, everyone knows that, but no one would dare denounce the firefighter of not knowing his skill.

Did he get too close to the stingray? OBVIOUSLY. BUT, has he been that close before and nothing has gone wrong? YES! The mistake this time is that Steve accidentally boxed the stingray in (via John, his producer/friend), causing the stingray to react like any animal--to protect itself.

I just wanna say big kudos to all those who said nice things about Steve. His loss is a huge one in the animal world and I know personally, I miss his enthusiasm already. He was/is such a huge influence on me and I'll always appreciate him and his message. May he rest in peace and may his influence be felt for decades.
~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.myspace.com/dare2dream28 I DARE you to click it. ;)

Thanks to room4602 at the Spashley forum for my avatar. :)