View Single Post
Old 27-04-2007, 00:14   #53
The Dream is Over, :~(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyubittu View Post
And it didn't exist until the 1950's. It was first a test run to find out where homosexuality orginated from in small children. Robert Stoller created the term, and even today gender identity in the realms of Psychology is still called "Gender Identity Theory". Gender Identity is socially constructed as well according to Psychologists, it's not an state in which you are born. The generic term for Gender Identity as well does not mean "I believe I'm a man in a womans body". It's the type of physical and social status that is thought of partaining to a specific gender. I.E. - Women cook, men go to work. I'd also like to point out that Psychology is a theory to understand how the mind works. It's not an exact brance of science or medicine. Gender Identity has no proof of existance. 5 million people can claim they feel the effects of belonging to another Gender, but it's something they've convicned themselves of mentally. It's like religion, it can't be proven, but people believe it. It's kinda like a gender hypocondriac? Offtop:
How's that for research?
The idea of gender identity has been around since written history, or at least as far as we know. It has only been studied in the past hundred years, doesn't mean it hasn't existed before then, it has just been recently identified as such.
But you're right, psychology and sociology are not exact sciences. Doesn't mean though everything studied under those are always questionable; everything simply is open-ended. Gender identity theory has revealed some truths; the idea of gender or at least the idea that we all prescribe to is a social construct.
That is that women cook, men go to work, girls should be elected to prom queen and boys to prom king (Not to mention, this is all also heteronormative). You yourself, whether you are aware of it or not, are prescribing to that notion. There is no right or wrong approach to this, we just need to see where we are coming from becuase we all do it in our little ways.
Like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
That's like saying all feminists are hairy. But I guess we can't say that because people would be upset.
Damn straight we'd be upset!
And we are not hairy, fuzzy perhaps.
Hater!

In any case, not every culture sees gender this way. Gender is not even binary in some cultures.
And why not, sex isn't either!

And just one more thing with all of te red state/blue state; Rick Santorum was a Senator from Pennsylvania, SANTORUM!!!
Offtop:
The frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex. I had to, I just had to spread the word baby!

Last edited by PowerPuff Grrl; 27-04-2007 at 00:27.