View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 08:30   #47
Участник

Gabrielle the Pacifist

This arc was necessary for Gabrielle in my opinion. I think they had to let Gabrielle find out that the peaceful way was not for her.

Remember the idealistic, naive kid she was in the beginning (the campfire scene in "Callisto" comes to mind)? The question of why she left behind those ideals was never properly explained. So they were still inside of her, irreconcilable really with her life at Xena's side. So in a way it was only a question of time until she would have to deal with this issue.

What I found interesting was that Xena supported her fully in that. It was also amazing that the two of them decided to stay together, against all odds, as it were - the warrior and the pacifist. Xena is somewhat surprised that Gab decides to stay with her, but it just goes to prove that nothing can separate those two, not even opposing life philosophies.

This pacifist phase was very important in the development of Gabrielle, as it showed her once and for all that this was NOT her way. Neverthless it helped her become who she was in the sixth season - a warrior, but not like Xena - more of a warrior with compassion and a deep understanding of the essential things in life.

So - don't be so hard on Gabrielle the Pacifist - it all helped her become the warrior bard, the leader of her people - the Amazons - and a great partner for Xena.

xena225

Last edited by xena225; 07-07-2003 at 08:36.