Thread: Gay High School
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2003, 20:43   #14
a kind of fresh madness

Education. Not segregation.

I think this 'gay high school' is a stupid idea!
I can see that the people behind the idea have the best interests of gay teenagers at heart and I appreciate that - I would have given anything for someone to have cared 2 sh*ts about how I was feeling when I was 16 and trying to deal with being gay - but keeping gay people and straight people apart can only cause harm.
Yes, I would have liked to have had some kind of refuge from the bullying at school. Yes, I would have liked to have had someone to talk to. And yes, I would have given anything to be able to meet other gay teens who were going through the same problems, but I definately wouldn't have wanted to be shut away from the outside world and not have been able to have any straight classmates as a result of this!
This whole idea of having schools for gay kids and schools for straight kids reminds me of those awful times years and years ago when blacks were kept separate from whites. Nothing good can come from segregation - integration is the only way forward. The only way those narrow-minded, ignorant cretins who picked on me at school will ever come to accept gay people is if they mix with them, become friends with them and realise that we're not "wierd" or "sick". There is no way this will ever happen if the gay kids are separated from everyone at high school age, as it's around this time in your life that you begin to really form your opinions and judgements that will effect the way you think for the rest of your life.
I don't want to be shut away in some special school or even some segregated workplace like some leper exhiled on a remote island! I want people to accept me as a human being and treat me no differently to anyone else.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?