View Single Post
Old 16-05-2004, 14:58   #13
заичонок

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend
I just can't find it within myself to bleed for a culture and people that have tolerated a despotic, unenlightend regime like that of Saddam's and those of the other Fundamentalist despots for so long.
Could you find it within yourself to bleed for the North Koreans? They've suffered just as despotic a regime as the Iraqis, if not much, much worse. But I can't blame them for being unable to break free. I pity anyone who has had to live in such conditions, and thank whatever higher being there may be that I've been fortunate enough to be born into and live in a democratic society (whatever you may think of the Japanese political system )

Incidentally, who propped up Saddam for years when it was politically expedient to do so? Yes, that's right. It was the UK and the US, because we thought "Hell, he may be a bastard, but he's our bastard, and at least he's not a hardline Muslim unlike Khomeini next door, and we wouldn't want the Commies to come in and start making friends with him. Better to have him inside our tent pissing out, than the other way around". Which, admittedly, is the way geopolitics has worked for generations, but I don't have to like it.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's not clear cut. Yes, Saddam was a bastard, but who helped to keep him there? But apportioning blame doesn't help. We're in the situation we're in and we'd better find some kind of workable solution pdq, otherwise gallons more blood will be spilt on both sides. It's just unfortunate that the current leaders of the US and the UK couldn't find their arses with a map (though R'Tony might manage it with a little help from his spin doctors), let alone draw up a roadmap for Middle Eastern peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Yes, but I want to repeat that he did it before when he showed Yulia suicide bombing Lena and her boyfriend in 30 Minutes.
Was that actually a suicide, though? I thought she planted the bomb and watched it explode...