View Single Post
Old 16-05-2004, 12:17   #5
Don't dream it, be it!

Hmmmmm, I'm hesitating to stick my oar in here and I haven't got Haku's impressive geographical and historical knowledge (I bow my head to the French education system) but I will say this. I am a very definitely left-leaning and liberal minded, educated woman whose sexual leanings definitely veer towards the bi. As such, I can't deny that the rise of Islamic fundamentalism both terrifies and enrages me - because of its sheer, bloody wrongheadedness. My own spiritual beliefs are probably closest to Zen Buddhism and I was pretty appalled to see those ancient statues of Buddha being destroyed in Afghanistan a few years back...but here's the difference - I'm not about to go wreaking havoc against those who supported the Taliban, in some crazy act of vengeance. Statues are statues, but human life is sacred, to be cherished above all - precisely as the purported Buddha taught.

I will profess my ignorance of the Quran - I don't know about the true nature of the Jihad personally, but I know there is much debate about whether it is to be interpreted as a physical or spiritual battle. So to get to the point here, I can actually take everybody's opinion on board. As Haku and a few others here have stated, I think there are obvious historical, political and economic injustices (largely the responsibility of the Western world - and yes, I mean the entire Western world, Including my own country: the UK, and France as well - let's quit the childish and unfair American-bashing) that have fuelled the rise of Islamic fundamentalism, but whilst knowing the facts that Haku presents are entirely correct - that Iraqi deaths would easily outstrip American casualties etc I just can't find it within myself to bleed for a culture and people that have tolerated a despotic, unenlightend regime like that of Saddam's and those of the other Fundamentalist despots for so long. Maybe it is hard-hearted of me, and if I was better informed I might well have a change of heart, but again, let's not compare America to a regime like that of Saddam's. I am no supporter of George Bush whatsoever and agree that US (and British and French, again) foreign policy leaves a lot to be desired but on a sliding-scale, it ain't even close. Honestly, which country would you rather be living in?