View Single Post
Old 27-12-2004, 06:23   #32
My Waking Hour

Actually the world originates from the 5th c. BC Athens and means the rule of the demos. The demos was consisted of every male citizen over the age of thirty, and each one would serve for at least one term at the Council - which was the equivalent to our modern parliament.
It's true that women and slaves were not represented at that time, but later, under Solon's legislation, all slaves were declared free, and later, under Pericles,the newly-aquired slaves were represented in the Council which was now formed by the 500 "best" - according to merit, not wealth or family citizens. All that 2500 years ago...
I think that instead of what we have today - the tyranny of the majority, sometimes even the minority - and since the Athenian system is impossible to be implemented, I'd rather see the abolition of that flawed model of "democracy" altogether and the return of the monarchy. One person respected by everybody to be chosen to run the country. He would elect his government according to merit not interest and would have to get the approval of the people for important decisions - such as taking the country to war. After a term he would decide who the his successor would be. ( another well-respected member of the community ).
I think the Chinese used to do that for centuries.