View Single Post
Old 14-05-2006, 16:23   #4
pie crust

Quote:
Do you think English speaking people who don't learn another language are lazy?
Not really, since it's usually not their fault... The reason to why people everywhere else (or almost everywhere else) learn English is because it's an "international" language that makes it easier for people from different countries understand eachother (such as on this forum). And of course because of the current situation, it's everywhere in the big movies, in music etc. I personally didn't have a "drive" to learn a different language at a young age, and I'm not surprised English speakers don't either.

I think the fact that there is such a language is great, because it gives you the opportunity to communicate with many different people.

I can't remember when I started learning English at school, I believe I was 10 years old.

I got an extra language (Spanish) at age 13, so basically I had 3 languages all at once. I think it's a positive thing to learn as much as you can during your lifetime, but I think that's just a personal taste. Some people just aren't interested in languages. Since English is so widely known, I really don't think it's a huge issue... I just think that learning different languages is positive for the individual.

I must say though, even though I wasn't interested in learning different languges when I was a kid, looking back on it now, I wish they would have taught me earlier. I mean when I was around 6-7 years old. That would have probably worked better if I had a certain language spoken around me all day (Such as Swedish, which I started learning at age 6). It's just so frustrating to learn a new language when you're older.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]