View Single Post
Old 15-12-2005, 10:30   #8
OG

Send a message via AIM to madeldoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
domination and privilege on the basis of race..inborn traits..let me get this straight.

if traits are inborn, or essential to whatever characteristic is singled out and judged (race, homosexuality, et al.), that is to say that these traits have nothing to do with socialization in the US. that is, learning, adapting, and assimilating into American culture has nothing to do with the formation of these stereotypes. people treat others based these characteristics because they think certain traits are essential to the characteristic as a whole, and nothing to do with the experience of the groups based on culture, experience, etc. so a devoutly religious homosexual mormon is judged the same way as a liberal, metropolitican homosexual. or, a non-white person growing up in the boroughs of NYC is judged the same as someone who grew up in a predominantly white, suburbian neighborhood in the Midwest.
maybe cuz im running on 4 hours of sleep, but i didnt quite get yoru point. so let me see if i can clear up what i said. an essentialist ideology suggests that race is a matter of innate characteristics, of which skin pigmentation or other inborn traits are key indicators. so when we laugh at dumb blonde jokes, we are showing our essentialist asses. and even discussing the word race is a bit tricky because the concept of race has nothing to do with the color of one's skin, but has everything to do with the social significance put on skin color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
i have one question regarding essentialism, as you put it:
if traits are essential, and in the US, essentialism has replaced racism in a subtle sense, how do you explain the acts of violence that are blatantly overt as compared to the subtle treatment of businesses and corporations to prefer whites to fill executive positions?

well it depends on which acts of violence your are referring to. i never stated that extreme racism doesn't exists, becaue im sure it is still quite prevalent in the south and other lil dots but not to the extent of essentialism.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"im fly as hell. swagga right. brown skin poppin like, dynamite"