View Single Post
Old 17-06-2006, 14:52   #13
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argos

A word on haku's remarks about war crimes of the others. I refuse to compare with the things the nazis did. Killing millions of Jews and Gypsies has nothing to do with war. The nazis announced that they will rub them out from the surface of earth and millions of german and austrian people cheered, supported them and thus 'legitimized' the genocide. That's completely different to atrocities during, and the ethnic cleanings after the war.
Well, the war would be the capstone for the building up of a Third Reich culture that would outlive them for a thousand years and so genocide was justified by the Nazis for creating an "Aryan race" ( it had more to do with controlling the wealth in my opinion but that is another matter ). And genocide is an illegal strategy in warfair, so in a way it is related to the war. It was an opportunity for the Nazi to annihilate the Jews, so strictly speaking the genocide was a direct means to meeting that end. At the end they bit a lot more than they could chew.
Hiroshima and the bombing of Dresden were also war crimes but not of the same scale. Hiroshima's aftermath was horrific. It had to happen in that way - "to end the war". That's their logic behind it.
The Americans and co are not strangers of war crimes themselves, they're conducting some as we speak.

I personally think that the Austrians are more open with it that the Germans because the extreme-right elements in Austria are now stronger and more to the mainstream. Germans are so guilty of their past that nationalism and extremist right views are still more in the underground. And imo, it should remain that way. It's funny that, thinking how Hitler himself was an Austrian. Not to forget also that the Austrians conceded to Hitler without a bullet being spent ( sort of speak )

Last edited by spyretto; 17-06-2006 at 15:10.