View Single Post
Old 16-06-2006, 14:10   #7
iMod

I have to admit that i don't really get your point either freddie. Germany is eluding WWII? Germany is *obsessed* with WWII actually in my opinion, i have never seen a country feeling so guilty about a past event and beating itself over it on a daily basis, it becomes sometimes a neurotic obsession and reaches insane levels.

Look at Japan, Japan has done its fair share of war crimes during WWII and modern Japan is really not too bothered about it. WWII Japanese soldiers (including kamikazes) are considered heroes, and neither Japan as a nation or Japanese soldiers as individuals (not to mention the late emperor who was the ruler during WWII) are held responsible for anything. Actually Japan often sees itself as ultimately a victim of the war since the US had the incredibly stupid idea to launch two nuclear bombs on civilians just to see what they would do to people.

Look at Russia, the Soviet regime has caused more deaths than the Nazi regime, and yet you don't see modern Russia too bothered about it. Modern Russia is not bothered either by the fact that they oppressed several Central European countries for half a century, sending the Red Army and massacring civilians each time those people made an attempt to free themselves.

And if we stick at WWII war crimes, there were also war crimes committed on the Allied side that are today still totally denied. The bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and the bombings of Dresde and Hamburg are war crimes, they had no military goal and their sole prupose was to kill tens of thousands of unarmed civilians just for the "fun" of it. Tens of thousands of unarmed civilians, men, women, children, died in atrocious conditions during each of those bombings, and nobody on the Allied side was ever held reponsible, the countries that made those bombings don't even recognize that there was anything wrong with such a massive massacre of civilians, a clear case of denial.
(Bombing Dresde was also a crime against the World Heritage since Dresde was an historical monument as a whole, destroying it was an outrageous act, even the Nazis never considered massively bombing Paris as a viable option because of the historical value of the city and the irreplaceable loss it would cause, the same thinking on the Allied side should have applied to Dresde.)

Modern Germany on the other hand totally acknowledges the war crimes commited during WWII and everything is done to make modern Germans feel guilty about it, it's even going too far in my opinion.
I don't believe in collective responsibility and inherited responsibilty.
The son of a serial killer should not have to apologize to the families of the victims of his father and be reminded everyday of his crimes. And i don't think that forcing a son to watch everyday pictures of the butchered victims of his father will ensure that he will grow up into a kind and caring human being that will never repeat what his father has done.
And here we're not even talking about sons, but grand-sons, and grand-grand-sons, and grand-grand-grand sons who have to apologize for, feel guilty about, and remember what their long gone anscestor has done.
It has become pointless and ridiculous because like i said, i don't believe in inherited responsibilty.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]