View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:54   #13
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl View Post
the Hijras and the Two-Spirit people? Both have been in practised and recognized for thousands of years.
Yeah, the idea i expressed in my first post came from that actually, well, i didn't know about the native American additional genders but i discovered a long time ago that additional genders existed in some Asian cultures and i've always thought that it was a pretty good idea.

It's interesting how many ancient cultures were rather accepting of alternative genders, even though often confined to sex related occupations. The fact that those "alternative" sexualities were very sought after by the general population is quite revealing in itself, when a religion doesn't impose an artificial taboo on everything that is not heterosexuality, homosexuality and everything in between become much more common practice.

In this regard, it's also interesting to read about the place of homosexual boys in many ancient cultures.
This quote from Roman poet Martial is precious:
Quote:
Upon being discovered by his wife "inside a boy" and offered the "same thing" by her, Martial retorts with a list of mythological personages who, despite being married, took young male lovers, and concludes by rejecting her offer since "a woman merely has two vaginas."
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]