View Single Post
Old 15-05-2011, 23:20   #92
Martian Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto View Post
So you reckon because the live performer would be preferred countries would have a hard time picking decent performers? But that could be good thing in the long run, wouldn't it? It could raise the standards of the competition altogether ...
Yes, of course. But you can't enforce it, if most of the members don't like it, and I don't see a way to convince a mayority of more than 40 countries to vote for this rule. The ESC is far from such a future. Let's be happy for now that we don't have playback or autotune for the singers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto View Post
This is what I think about the final: A single restriction, based primarily on native languages ( so we got Greece/Cyprus (amen!) Austria/Germany, Belgium/France, UK/Ireland, Russia/Ukraine, Spain/Andorra, Croatia/Serbia? is that right? etc etc )
and if that doesn't apply b) a single restriction based on the country they historically give most points to - because we somehow have to stop the Scandinavians from what they're doing for several years now, voting for each other, then pretending they're fair while the East is not ).
There will still be considerable neighbouring voting of course, but at least 50% could be eliminated eventually.
How ever we try it, it gets either too complicated (more than one restriction) or doesn't quite serve the purpose. That's why I said, that I considered this for a while. It's no good in the end. More rules, and doesn't solve the problem, at least not without creating new ones. The East/West showdown is still more promising, though against the desired reduction of the polarity thinking.