View Single Post
Old 27-02-2004, 02:55   #213
spooning good singing gum

Quote:
Originally posted by simon
Thanks for your reports, sunny poison!

I laughed when I read Yulia's chain of logic. It reveals ignorance not just about Singapore ("those MTV guys can translate it directly to their language" - the main language of Singapore IS English), but a more amazing one about Asia and MTV Asia. What bloody language does she think MTV Asia is broadcast in? It doesn't require a detailed knowledge of the history of Singapore to realise that MTV Asia broadcasts in English, not "Singaporese".

Whether or not they set out to deceive people? I think you can point to some interviews where they said such ridiculous things that it seemed kind of clear they were kidding. I never understood why red flags didn't go up for everyone. On the other hand, there were other interviews where they didn't do that and those interviews do seem rather deceptive.
Poor Yul, not too bright but she is pretty funny. The most deceptive interview to me was the one when they were in Italy and that Wal-Mart guy was translating for them. Lena told the story about their "relationship" (quotes like "our parents understood everything and they are ok with the fact we are together.") and Yulia wouldn't kiss the girl because "I love her (lena) and she loves me" Man, they tried really hard in that one to convince everyone they were together (or Lena did because Yulia didn't speak too much). I couldn't tell they were lying at all. It all seemed sincere. I wonder if someone called them on this what they would say. It was pretty direct about what they were trying to convey i.e. we are in love with one another.