View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 16:12   #13
The Dream is Over, :~(

When the Italian Mafia first set up shop in the States it was pretty much because the police in cities like NYC, Chicago, Philidelphia, etc. didn't really police Italian neighbourhoods thus leaving them vulnerable to robbery, which happened often. The Mafia would then offer their services of proctection to these neighbourhoods for a fee. So, I can see this as being a social positive.

I think it was only when the Mafia branched out to illegal trade like drugs, firearm and prostitution that's when dead bodies start falling due to all of the eventual turf wars from rival gangs. And this pretty much is the situation with gangs now.

The Hell's Angels, once a notorious gang, are pretty much harmless now in Canada, particularly Montreal. Though they are known to distribute some drugs, they have been able to broker peace with other gangs and have helped maintain a ceasefire. Judging by what people have said about accidentally encountering a Hell's Angel member, they sound like the nicest people alive.

PS: When seeing the title of this thread my first thought was "Now what can be so wrong about Scooter Gangs?".