View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 08:31   #29
malinky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
Though I can't speak for them I think they genuinely feel that they were born into the wrong body and can only identify with the oppsite sex.
There's a really great show that I saw last fall on Sundance about just this issue. I'm sure some of you have seen it and it might have been mentioned before, but if not, you should really check it out: Transgeneration. Another really great documentary about transsexuals: Southern Comfort.

Quote:
As for the whole bisexual issue, I too have heard a lot of the resentment that gay people have for bisexuals. One thing that took me by surprise was Dan Savage, this gay American sex advice columnist, mentioned that he changed his views on bisexuals from believing they didn't exist to saying that they'd eventually settle on the opposite sex. Also the writers for the L Word seem to think that bisexual women go to men for the fucking and hop over to women for the love. And finally I guess Anne Heche didn't really do much for the bi representation,... or even the gay representation effort, which is a shame because us straight people don't want her either.
I think the problem with the label bisexual (other than labels just suck) is that it is used quite frequently by people who are just exploring. People feel the need to put a label on their activities and so bisexual it is. Four examples: 1) Someone may call themselves “bisexual” when either he/she is unsure, confused, or just uncomfortable with his/her sexuality but most likely would ultimately classify themselves as hetero/homosexual when all is said and done. 2) There are people who are interested in having sexual relationships with both sexes at the same time…which may be a type of bisexual but I personally don’t know enough about that to comment on it. 3) This is predominately a female phenomenon, where females call themselves “bisexual,” kiss and touch another female, not for their own pleasure but as a way to attract a male’s attention. Or as my fiance says, “a straight mating tactic.” 4) Lastly, people who just have sex with someone of the same sex for the pleasure of the moment but never see themselves having a serious relationship with that individual. However, paradoxically, many men who would fit into this category would never call themselves anything other than heterosexual.

Then you have people who consider themselves to be truly bisexual and have had long term relationships with either both or one sex. However, due to the long term nature of the relationship, other people view them as either hetero/homosexual while they are in that relationship. For example, no matter how many times she or I tell my fiance’s parents that we’re bisexual, they continue to be surprised when one of us says we find a man “hot“. It’s quite frustrating. Secondly, as someone who is bisexual, it is often easier to allow people to assume I am a lesbian because 1) at times, I find it tedious to attempt to explain my sexuality, 2) I don’t want it to appear as though being perceived a lesbian is a bad thing, and 3) often saying I am bisexual seems to give the connotation to some that I don’t view my relationship as committed. I can only assume that like me, many bisexuals do not declare themselves as such for these reasons.

Offtop:
Quote:
So yeah, I guess bisexuals like yourself volkotina aren't really being seen that often which can only mean that you'll have to stick around this forum for a while because honestly, WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?! Dude, I haven't seen you, in like, ever!
I’ve always been here lurking, but as evidenced above, I tend to not be able to stop once I start and that can be rather time consuming (and no doubt annoying to those who like posts short and sweet). There have been several times where I’ve been inclined to post but ultimately never do. I have no clue why I did this time, actually. I’m flattered you remembered me.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Caterpillars turn into rare butterflies..."
~Chantal Kreviazuk~