View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 01:26   #26
malinky's

Hoping to make sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie
I wasn't even considering 50:50. Even 70:30 would be an achievement. Most people out there only have one particular gender they'd be willing to have a serious relationship with while there's a bigger option an individual would be at least attracted to both sexes.

Well, I consider myself to be a pretty self-aware person and I would have to say that if I labeled myself anything it would have to be a "true" bisexual. Had my fiance been a man, I can unequivocally state that I would have been just as in love and committed to him. My attraction to a person is based upon my attraction to his/her personality. Personally, the way my mind works, I could never be with someone based on physical appearance alone and find that if there is something about someone's personality that I perceive to be ugly, that's it for me...no more attraction. (And I state that truly and genuinely, I have always been that way. I am not saying this to appear more "open-minded.") However, I could be with someone who is not conventionally physically attractive, but their personality and soul are beautiful. That is what makes someone beautiful and makes me both emotionally and sexually attracted to an individual (and I have and continue to be attracted to both men and women). Thus, for me at least, if this person is male or female has no bearing on my desire to be in a relationship with them. Again, had my fiance been a man, I truly believe I would be every bit in love with him as I am with her. I've never felt a connection to another like I do to her and had she not been female, I simply cannot fathom not wanting to explore that connection in a romantic way.

And I do realize that other's feel similar as far as what's on the inside matters most, but that they could only see themselves being with either the same or the opposite sex. I don't know what else to say but that I am just not programmed that way (perhaps I am a "true" bisexual. ). I have always been attracted and had connections to men and that is what made it so hard for me to realize that I was anything other than heterosexual. It wasn't until I realized that my feelings for certain women were the same as my feelings for certain men and that I did not have to choose either/or, that I became comfortable with my own sexuality.

So, I guess what I am trying to say in a most long-winded way , is that there are those of us who might be labeled bisexual who truly are open to having a serious, committed relationship with either gender. And I do not know how common it is, but I know that I am not alone. I have met others who feel the same as I.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Caterpillars turn into rare butterflies..."
~Chantal Kreviazuk~