View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 22:31   #55
Bitchka

Quote:
For instace if I say: Film in slovene there is that sound between l and m but we don't write it as a letter. Another example is zanr (z has a mark on top so it's pronounced zhanr), which means ganre in english. Zanr= between n and r there is also that "polglasnik" sound. So I guess Bulgarians would put an e in the middle and call it "zaner".
Film for us is Филм or translited Film the sound is still there- but that's a different case. Let me see how to explain it... hmmm...the sound is there in between l and m just because there is no way to pronaunce it without it, but it is not like a letter. The letter ъ is a vowel so the word corner will look like that in Bulgarian ъгъл or translited ugul, agal or the best way to do it will be ugal. See anyone of the three would work for a bulgarian, but if you are not bulgarian it gets confusing- because you would read the 3 different options differently, and a bulgarian will read them all the same.
Then the word ganre- in bulgarian it is жанр, translited as zhanr. So the same way- the sound is just there, because there is no other way to pronaunce it other wise- but it is not the letter ъ.
Let me give you another example of the letter ъ- гълъб or translited gulab meaning dove or pigeon. See, in this case ъ is needed not just to be able to pronaunce the word but it is the only vowel in the word. Bulgarian is very phonetic language so you can read each letter separatelly and you will be saying the word correctly- maybe I can record myself again to show how that works. (but later tonight or tomorrow. )

Quote:
ps: Cool your style of talking in english reminds me very much of Lena's, except with much better english.
I was feeling a little weird recording myself, but I got over it. See, now you understand why I say people, here in USA, right away think I am Russian, LoL. You are the second person, after my mom, that tells me I speak and laugh like Lena. Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!