View Single Post
Old 19-05-2004, 23:08   #59
Участник

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxxi
Did you know that there was a country that was very close toinvading Talibn-ruled Afghansitan, overthrowing them and destroy Al Qaeda? Care to guess which country was it? And care to guess which country was at the same time negotiating with Taliban to make a pipeline through Afghansitan to Pakistan?
I don't know that Iran was planning to invade, although they were certainly angry with the Taleban for murdering their diplomats. US oil companies were negotiating with the Taleban to build a pipeline through Afghanistan.

The point I had made been making was that the West had been short-sighted not to attack the Taleban and Al Qaeda before 9/11. You know what happened when in 1998 President Clinton launched cruise missiles at Al Qaeda camps in Afghanistan in retaliation for the East African embassy bombings? Both the US Republicans and the international left denounced him, saying that he was just doing it to distract attention from Monica Lewinsky. It was widely condemned as US aggression.

It seem that whatever the US does some people will criticise. I'm listening to Noam Chomsky being interviewed on Newsnight right now and I love the way that whatever the West does he condemns it. If it goes to war or imposes sanctions against dictatorships, he condemns its aggression and hypocricy. If it trades or deals with them he condemns it for supporting dictatorships and being hypocritical.

Last edited by simon; 20-05-2004 at 01:20.