View Single Post
Old 14-05-2006, 16:18   #3
Just me...

Send a message via MSN to Kyro
In my opinion, it should be compulsory to learn at least one other language, starting from when they start school. I think it is terrible that the British put so little emphasis on learning foreign languages.

I only speak English, and some French, and even less Russian and Japanese, but I would have loved the opportunity to learn more. I am currently studying A level French, which is the highest level you can do at school, but my French speaking ability is still quite poor, not because I'm bad at it, but because I started so late (age 11) and because they only teach up to a certain standard. Yes, most kids don't want to learn another language, they don't see any reason to, but I think more would want to if they started at a younger age. I think it is ridiculous that there are so few opportunities to learn.

Also, I don't understand why we should expect everyone else to speak our language, but it seems most of the time, even if we do know another language, we don't have a chance to practice it. Even when I try to speak to someone in their own language, they reply in English.

I would love to see what happened if America lost all it's power, what would we do then?