View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 03:10   #15
Losing it!

I know I said I would start on Freeze’s on Monday ...

But I changed my mind. The weekend is the best time to practice so …

A freeze or pose is when you stop all movement and hold the position for a few seconds. We will start with one of the easiest. Turtles.

Turtles

The turtle freeze is one of the basic positions used throughout many breaking moves. Many ground freezes stem from the turtle position, and many variations can be experimented and created.
1. Turtle freezes are one of the most basic freezes. For beginners, start on your knees.

2. From your knees, go forward and place your elbows into your gut (right below your ribs to each side, between your stomach and hip).
Generally they should be someplace somewhat comfortable, or that doesn’t hurt. For the most part, it just takes some time getting use to. Make sure they are far apart enough so that they are not close together, but not so that they’ll easily slip out.

3. Now lift your legs and lean your lower body to rest on your elbows, balancing on your arm. Your legs will be bent and apart from each other, almost like a “U”. Your arms should be in a 90 degree angle. Your hands should not be facing directly forward but to the side.
Don’t focus on keeping your legs strait or closed together, or else you will not be able to balance. The reason this position is called the turtle freeze is because that’s what it looks like.

4. You should learn to get into this position easily and be able to hold if for as long as you want (that is meaning that balance isn’t an issue).
If you cannot balance in this position at all, you can either start with your head resting on the ground, or use a small stool to rest your raised legs.
For starters, it may be seem very hard to even hold for three seconds without feeling like your under intense pressure. Remember to breathe! Since this freeze is based mostly on balance and not so much strength, just keep working at it and it will come.

Tips:
-Put your elbows in the most comfortable position for you. Hands are palm to palm, facing out.
-Focus on balance, and don't try to keep your legs strait or closed.
-Remember to breathe!

This is a pic of what they should look like: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...99041419fbWWeT