View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 22:35   #19
The Dream is Over, :~(

Sorry, I was trying to be sarcastic there. I know what you guys mean but thanks for clarifying anyway.
Now if you excuse me I will reply to every comment made in this thread that I disagree with, this may take awhile.

Quote:
He's been making vile homophobic comments for years and very few people (besides gay activist groups) have spoken out against him. But the very moment it emerges that he made a couple of remarks against black women on one of his early demo tapes the whole media, both in America and Europe, is on his back and forcing him to make a public apology!
And consider the MOBO (Music Of Black Origin) Awards - it's all about pride and esteem. But if we were to have a MOWO Awards it would be classed as racism.
Now I don't know what the attitude is over in the UK but I do know here that when Eminem made those comments it were pretty big. He personally had to make the rounds with the press making it clear that he wasn't homophobic. He even went out of his way to sing a duet with Elton John at the Grammy Awards, which reminds me of the time when Kurt Cobain accused Axl Rose of being homophobic, Rose then sang a duet with Elton John to refute that (what the fcuk is up with Elton John). Furthermore, in Eminem's movie 8-mile I think he had a gay friend that co-workers picked on, though this is lame, Eminem defended the friend by saying to his co-workers "he may be gay, but you're a faggot." I told you it was lame, but his heart was in the right place.
As for him making those comments about black women, the issue runs a whole lot deeper than whatever you think Affirmative Action is. For one thing the black community does not like Eminem. Not him personally, they resent that fact that the sole reason why this guy popular is because he is white and therefor easier to sell accross the world. That this guy is doing the exact same thing that every hip hop artist before him has been doing. He is the Elvis Presly of the Hip Hop world. That is just big, fat blow to the Black community, but they cannot hate him because he is white, and really before his demo tapes were released they had no reason to hate him. The demo tapes just served as a front for them to unleash their rage, "first the guy steals our music for the amusement of white people, now he's going to insult us for the amusement of white poeple? Hell no!!!"

As for this MOBO Awards, I do not see what the problem with that is. Institutions like that helped prevent black artists from having their music stolen by white artist way back when. Yes I know it doesn't apply today now however they are celebrating history and frankly I commend that. I also commend the GLAAD Awards that rewards Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and Transgendered, because like those black institutions of the past, they realize that nobody will recognize their talent and where there talent is coming from unless they do.
Oh and there is a MOWO Awards though it isn't for music, it is called the Oscars.

Quote:
Would it be considered ok to hate black people because the majorly of them are homophobic and not actually because they are black? I was having this discussion recently with some of my friends and apparently I'm racist But of course I was having this conversation with 2 straight girls, so they wouldn't understand how annoying it can be that there is such a double standard.
No, it wouldn't be ok.
Racist? No. Prejudiced? Yes.
I really don't understand how you guys could just focus on one minority. To assume that the majority of black people are homophobic has got to be the most generalizing thing I have ever heard. And even if you are right, do you honestly think that it is just black people? Because I have some seriously bad news to tell you; the majority of white people may also be homophobic, as well the South Asians, South East Asians, Hispanic, Arab, I could go on forever.
Do you think it was black people who voted for a President that is gunning for a constitutional ban on gay marriage? Do you think it was black people that voted for, in all ten states that had it on their ballots, a ban on gay marriage? Do you think black people run mega-networks like NBC and CBS that refused to air a commercial for the United Church that said GLBTs are welcomed, because apparently inclusiveness is now too controversial. And guess what?! Les Moonves, the CEO for CBS, is Jewish!!! OMG, a man coming from a group of people that definitely know the meaning of discrimination, but, but, but how could he do this? Do you know what is even more shocking though, BET (Black Entertainment Television) has no problems with it, as does UPN and network that's demographic is predominately black and so far their viewers are not complaining.

This reminds me of that age old requirement for black people to be accepted in the mainstream; in order to get the same thing a white people get we must be ten times better than them, because an average black person just will not do, no he must be extraordinary.
I still do not get why black people, specifically black people must not be homophobic. What the hell does our past have to do with anything? What, because we must know what it is like to be discriminated against? We are not the only people who have been the object of hatred.
What about women who are homophobic? Jews? Asians?...
What about gay people who are sexist, racist even? Yeah! it exists.
Just because black people are an easy target, doesn't make us the only target.
And just a tip from us black folk; when fighting against hatred it is useful and more effective to go after the big fish, you know the people who are actively, directly involved in limiting your rights, i.e. policy-makers.
And what of white people? Are you implying that because white people, particularly white males, never get discriminated against they can't possibly understand what it is like, so they get a free pass with homophobia. That is insulting to white people.

But while we are on the subject of double-standards, I find it extremely amusing that of all the really offensive things involved in the hip hop industry you guys just pay attention to the homophobic aspects. Among some of the most misogynistic lyrics, the only things that filters through your minds are the homophobic words. Why is that? Is it because the "bitches" that they are refering to are black, and you are white (assuming you are white). But doesn't that offend you? How black women are portrayed in their videos, doesn't that illicit that same reaction in you as their homophobic words do? It doesn't though does it? The only thing that offends you in those videos are how ugly those women's bodies are. Yeah!

Regarding the names "faggot" and "dyke." There are other words that insult people base on things that people cannot help.
Retarded - used in such phrases like "That is sooo retarded" => it is so stupid; insulting to people with autism.
Ghetto - used in such phrases like " That is soo ghetto" => it is soo black/poor; insulting to black people.
Gay - used in such phrases like "That is sooo gay" => it is soo stupid/weak; insulting to homosexuals.
Pussy - used in such phrases like "Do not be a pussy" => don't be weak; insulting to women.
Dick or Prick - used in such phrases like "you are being a dick/prick" => acting like an asshole; insulting to men.
Cracker or White - used in such phrases like "do act white" => don't act like a big dork; insulting to white people.

Lesson here, everybody can be an ass and we shouldn't let their history excuse them for it or lower our reagrd for them more than they deserve because of it.