View Single Post
Old 26-04-2007, 22:34   #52
ex-sunnich

Send a message via ICQ to la aurora Send a message via MSN to la aurora
I can't really relate to this whole 'being in the wrong gender' situation, as being the careless type I am, I don't think I'd feel any worse in the male body than I feel in my female one. For me it's less on gender level and more on the level of emotions and aesthetics. Both genders have their pro's and con's. As long as this body is relatively healthy, I'm cool with it and I'd find my ways to find a look I'd be comfortable enough with. But then I never was known for having a healthy 'down to earth' mind, so I can understand that some people may have different view on such things.

What I can't understand is all this fuss about this article. If the person feels happy getting this opportunity and people around him/her don't really mind giving him/her this opportinity, then why the hell would 'we' mind? It's a good lesson of acceptance for people that feel different, it's great for Cinthia to get this support by his/her classmates, it's an example of humanism winning over burocracy. People will have fun, someone will feel happy for some time. What's the deal? I used to play soccer against guys. I payed for it and learned my lesson (after jumping on 1 leg for 2 weeks after that lol). I could of course refuse to compete against them, could say it's unfair. But I didn't. I felt fine with it, they felt fine with it, people around us felt fine with it. Who cares about it being unfair and unlogical as far as it's all voluntary.

There are situations that are more complicated than this one. Of course people that feel they are wrong gender should have their feelings respected but it doesn't mean that feelings of people that feel bad about it shouldn't be respected at the same time. Respect, loyality, politeness and trying to understand opinions and feelings other than your own are especially important with issues like this. It's really a shame that while discussing it, we totally forget about all those important things. It's good to show support for some random person we never met but it's worth nothing if we fail to apply same rules to people we communicate with directly.