View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 06:59   #38
The Dream is Over, :~(

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto
That is totally not true , where did you get that? Birthplace determines your nationality everywhere. So it seems that Americans don't know Europe as much as we don't know America.
I disagree, your citizenship determines your nationality at least in North America it does. I was born in the UAE, and even if I stayed there for the rest of my life I would never become a citizen. The same policy applies to most oil rich countries in the Middle East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
And yes, invading a random Arab country (well, not totally random of course, it has yummy oil to feed SUVs) just because you've been attacked by a dozen Arabs from another Arab country is definitely over the top.
Oh that's rich, would you propose that they adopt the French approach by which instead, 17% of the population vote for a fascist in the round (Chirac got 20%; a three point differential)!!!
Say what you will about Americans, but never would the American racist fucktard Pat Buchanan ever get that many votes, I don't think he even got over 1% during '94, (or was it '98?).
In fact I distinctly remember the reaction many Americans had right after 9/11; almost instinctively trying to establish bridges with the Muslim community, attempting to educate other Americans about how the attacks were not reflective of Islam and how Islam is a religion of peace*. Never would they make enemies out of their own people, and if they do they don't need a riot to make them change their ways.

I see people arguing this from two different standpoints, either from a country's domestic or foreign policy. I personally think the true value of a nation comes from its domestic policy, foreign comes second. The US's foriegn policy is shitty, but so is every other country. I'm sure if you examine France's, the UK's, Russia's and even Canada's foreign policy with the same scrutiny as you do the States you'd find some pretty reprehensible things.

*And even I thought that was bullshit.

Last edited by PowerPuff Grrl; 11-01-2006 at 14:40.