View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 20:37   #16
The Dream is Over, :~(

OT:
Quote:
Originally posted by russkayatatu
PowerPuff Grrl, actually people in Liberia desperately want America to intervene, and Bush is being non-commital. At least that's what I last heard.
Oh I'm not denying Liberians want intervention, in fact I believe any given African nation wants the same thing. It is just that I don't think Bush will actually do anything other than donate a few billion dollars which will end up in the pockets of a few African dictators.

On topic though,
Quote:
Originally posted by karxwp
...now what I'm worried is that Canada is being pushed (by the vatican and other conservative groups) to change again the constitution.
You don't need to worry, the Opposition is mainly based on the fact that Parliament was not entirely involved in the whole thing. Which is bullshit because that usually always happens, the only reason why the Opposition is angry is because it didn't work out in their favour.

Furthermore, Churches are only against the idea of labeling gay marriages as "marriages" because the term is derived from the Bible which they believe defines marriages as a union between a man and a woman. These Churches feel that though the Government should recognize gay rights, they shouldn't be labeled uder the conventional meaning of "marriage" but rather "legal union."
I say, "whatever."

On a final note, Canada is probably one of the most skeptical countries in the world, any religious influences won't affect our decision-making as a country.
And it is kinda funny that you mention Vincent Fox and George W. Bush as being friends and sharing and practising a common faith, Darje, probably one of the many reasons why Jean Chretien (Canadian Prime Minister) isn't all that close to Bush.