View Single Post
Old 20-01-2005, 18:39   #32
Bitchka

Quote:
Originally Posted by haku
Haha, well, i typed that part from MEMORY of my ancient history classes.

your memory is better than mine!

Quote:
Well, maybe we should apply reverse reasoning here. In Antiquity, Romania and Bulgaria were the same "country", when the Slavic tribes invaded this area, the part where Slavs were the majority became known as "Bulgaria" (from the leading tribe) and the part where Slavs were a minority and the original inhabitants (the Dacians) still in power became know as "Romania" precisely because people there kept living according to the "Roman" way.
sounds good .. that's sounds similar to what i was thinking, that I have no problem with...exept, WHY did majority of Slavs settle in what is Bulgaria, and almost none in what is Romania? ... continued discussion of this later....

Quote:
As for why Dacians were able to maintain their power in that part, it's probably because they had enough military power to push back the Slavs, military power that they had probably inherited from remnants of the Roman Empire.
now this is the more intriguing part .... so first of all, when the Slavs were setteling, were they really pushed and resisted by the Dracians? but the Tracians welcomed them? or were the Dracians way better worriors than the Thracians are defended themselves better? that's what i was trying to say, im sorry i am not very clear .... maybe there are knowledge of this... but its just interesting, why not THAT many Slavs in the Dracian region as everywhere else, all over the Balkans ... logically thinking, one would say the Dracians were just MEAN, ha ha, and didnt allow the Slavs to come close, or their lands SUCKED and the Slavs didnt want to settle there .... because i cant 100% accept the reasoning that Dracians were THAT much better worriors than everybody else not to mentinon Slavs were NOT worrior tribe at all, so I cant see why wont ANYONE be able to push them back .... unless I guess they were (and they were) HUGE in numbers]... as it took the protoBulgarians and their good worrior qualities to really fight back the Byzantians and establish a recognizable state in 680s

(what year did Romania become Romania btw? Pretty recently no? )
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!