View Single Post
Old 20-01-2005, 18:21   #30
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasfcuk
where did you get it from, because look at this ...
Haha, well, i typed that part from MEMORY of my ancient history classes.

Quote:
So really, it is Thraco-Dacians we are talking about ...
Yeah, as far as i know, Dacians and Thracians are basically the same people, there even was a third group related to them called the Phrygians who lived in Anatolia but this group became totally extinct.

Quote:
so I am still interested to know why the Slavs merged with the ones that were in Bulgaria, but not really with the ones that were in Romania ....
Well, maybe we should apply reverse reasoning here. In Antiquity, Romania and Bulgaria were the same "country", when the Slavic tribes invaded this area, the part where Slavs were the majority became known as "Bulgaria" (from the leading tribe) and the part where Slavs were a minority and the original inhabitants (the Dacians) still in power became know as "Romania" precisely because people there kept living according to the "Roman" way.

As for why Dacians were able to maintain their power in that part, it's probably because they had enough military power to push back the Slavs, military power that they had probably inherited from remnants of the Roman Empire.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]