View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 14:42   #8
Bitchka

Ok, I'm back, too busy lately, so I didn't get a chance to record the 'sound', over the weekend I will, or type in Cyrillic, but I guess translit is the best way to do it anyway (since so few can read Cyrillic anyway ) Here we go:

Good Morning = Dobro Utro
Good Day = Dobar Den (a repeat)
Good Night = Leka Nosht
Good Bye = Dovizhdane or also could be trnslited as Dovijdane

pozdravlenja for us means = congratulating someone

freddie- I understand pretty much anything in serbian too, and if you say it is very close to Croatian, then no wonder why I understand that one also. All those- serbian, croatian, macedonian, bulgarian- are lalmost like different dialectsto me.

You shouldn't be surprised our languages are close- after all when the Slavics came over our lands- they were one 'tribe' (I am lacking the correct english word) so I will give you our word, I bet you will get what I mean one 'narod' . They all spoke one language, with few differences between different groups among them- for example on the Balkans, when the Slavic people settled here- the main groups were Bulgarian Slavic, Croatian Slavic, and Serbo Slavic (those were all South Slavics)- they were constantly fighting with the Byzantine Empire (that is before any of them could be recognized as independant states.) I reread some history last night - and even from those very early days when they settled- even though they had the same language- the Bulgarian Slavic group altered few characteristics- like couple sounds were pronaunced differently, and they also lost their 'padej' or 'padezhi'- grammar forms. That explains it, why today we don't have those anymore- thank god- because padezhi for me are nightmare.

Few more words:
How are you? = Kak si?
Good. And you? = Dobre. A ti?
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!