View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 02:55   #56
Yearning

Send a message via AIM to dare2dream28 Send a message via MSN to dare2dream28
guesshoo---Don't worry too much about them fighting. It's all good and fun. Here's a chapter just for you.

Chapter 10

The next morning, not one word was spoken between the two. Yulia was intent on not speaking to Lena unless absolutely necessary. That is, until her stomach spoke for her.

Damn stomach. Why can’t you ever stop making demands of me?! Yulia thought as she stubbornly tried to avoid asking Lena for breakfast since she had the food in her pack. When Yulia’s stomach rumbled for the third time, she reluctantly decided to give in to the silent treatment.

“I need some breakfast.” Yulia stated dryly.

Without responding, Lena threw Yulia a breakfast bar.

“Because of the unplanned swimming last night, we will be leaving late today since our clothes need to dry. I’m going for a walk. I advise you to hang up your clothes.” Lena said as she headed out into the woods.

Fine Miss Grumpy-Ass. Yulia thought as she walked around their camp trying to find the best place to hang her clothes in the sun. While she was walking to what she thought would be a good spot, she quickly retracted her foot, seeing the tail of a snake. She was about to scream when she saw what she thought was blood coming from the snake’s tail. She took a closer look and saw that the snake was facing belly side up with the tongue hanging out of its mouth. Whew. It’s dead.

Suddenly, a light bulb flashed in Yulia’s head. Oh this would be too good. Sure, Lena can handle snakes, but can she handle dead snakes with blood all over them? If she gets queasy at the vet office, I bet she’ll really freak out over this! Yulia thought as she got two sticks and maneuvered them under the snake, carrying it towards their tent.

Won’t this be a pleasant surprise when she rolls up the sleeping bag? Yulia thought, evilly laughing to herself. Right before she got to the tent, Yulia thought twice and decided to get some dry leaves to put on the blanket so the snake’s blood wouldn’t get on it. After all, she had to use the sleeping bag and blanket too.

Once the snake was in place, Yulia decided to get dressed. As she was changing into her clothes, she heard something that sounded like leaves rustling. What the heck is that? Yulia wondered as she listened closer to the sound. Oddly, it sounded like it was coming from underneath the sleeping bag. No way! It can’t be! Yulia thought as she slowly went to turn up the corner of the sleeping bag. When she pulled the sleeping bag up far enough, Yulia blankly stared at the now empty pile of leaves.

What?! Where’s the snake?! It was here just a minute ago!!! It was dead!! DEAD!!! Yulia thought as she frantically began looking for the snake. She didn’t have to look long as she heard a loud hiss come from the opening of the tent.

Frozen in horror, Yulia looked towards the closed door flap of the tent. There, blocking her only way of escape, was the very alive snake.

“AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!” Yulia shrieked as she realized she had no way out. If someone didn’t know any better, it would’ve sounded like Yulia was getting attacked by some monstrous animal.

Hearing Yulia’s scream, Lena’s eyes shot open and she took off for their camp in lightning speed, getting the knife she always carried on her belt out in the process. Fearing the worst, Lena bolted into the camp, her eyes shooting in every direction to try and locate Yulia.

“YULIA!!! WHERE ARE YOU?!” Lena yelled as she began to panic.

“LENA!!! OH THANK GOD!!! I’m in the tent!!! HURRY!!!” Yulia yelled as she tried to create as much distance from the snake as possible.

Not wasting any time on the zipper, Lena tore through the opening of the tent with her knife, ready to go inside and hurt whoever or whatever dare threatened Yulia. Seeing Yulia with only her bra and pants on, Lena immediately looked around the tent for a stranger, thinking someone tried to physically attack her. When she didn’t see anyone besides Yulia in the tent, Lena asked “What is wrong?! What’s going on?!”

“Watch out!!!! There’s an enchanted snake right at your feet! It’s possessed!! It came back from the dead! Who knows what it’ll do next!” Yulia said, clearly frightened.

Before Yulia even finished what she was saying Lena had spotted the snake and went into serious mode, putting all her concentration on the snake. Once she got hold of it and got it out of the tent, she relaxed some, now realizing that it was non-venomous.

“You had me worried sick over a snake? A SNAKE?! My gawd Prissy! I thought you were being attacked!” Lena said as she made her way to the tree line and let the snake go.

“Lena, it came back from the dead! Honest! It had blood coming out from its tail and its tongue was hanging out of its mouth! It was DEAD!” Yulia said, desperately trying to explain herself.

Lena couldn’t help but laugh at this. “That’s because it was an Eastern Hognose snake! It’s known for playing dead, just like an opossum does to avoid predators.” Lena explained as she continued to laugh. “I think maybe you should leave the snakes to me for a while.” Lena commented.

“Well *now* you tell me! Hey…wait a second. You actually called me Yulia!” Yulia said cheerfully.

“Ummm, no I didn’t. You must be hearing things. I mean, you *apparently* saw a dead snake. Who’s to say you’re not hearing things as well?” Lena said, trying to cover up the fact that she did call Yulia by her name. “Oh, and were you planning to put on a shirt anytime soon or did you just plan to give the animals a free peep show all day?” Lena teased as she winked at Yulia.

Blushing at that last comment, Yulia quickly covered herself with her shirt, forgetting all about prodding Lena about why, for once, she didn’t call her Prissy. As soon as Lena was out of the tent, Yulia reminisced on the event that just happened and thought with a smile, So she does care if I live or not. Even if she won’t admit it…yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.myspace.com/dare2dream28 I DARE you to click it. ;)

Thanks to room4602 at the Spashley forum for my avatar. :)