View Single Post
Old 30-04-2007, 08:49   #61
Freakin' Nutmeggers!

Send a message via AIM to Ace of Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyubittu View Post
my response was that we have a way to small a population of transgenders to make laws for them.
Woah. First, hey, nice to meet ya.

Second off...I gotta ask: even though they're a small percentage of the population, why wouldn't you want to make laws protecting them?

- We have laws that protect consumers with x amount of debt from being hassled by collection agencies.
- We have laws that protect disabled persons from workplace discrimination.
- And we have laws that protect religious minorities, like Muslims and Unitarians, from religious discrimination.

So, even though all of the three above groups of people (consumers in debt, disabled persons, and religious minorities) are a small percentage of the US population, we as a society are compassionate and extend protections to them that they cannot achieve in and of themselves. Saying that transgender individuals aren't worthy of legal protection and recourse not only sounds un-compassionate, but it sounds hateful. As a gay man, I'm also in the minority of Americans, but I still firmly believe I should be protected from hateful/harmful attacks by other people.

Wouldn't you agree?