View Single Post
Old 05-06-2003, 01:40   #25
Участник

They could all be false. As many as three could be correct. In my experience, 2 and 3 are mutually exclusive options. If the sun is up, stars will be too dim comparatively to be seen.

Here are the points in order. As with all things, I can only base my answers on what I know, or have experienced. I've never been to Sweden.

1. Could be true. The likelihood of curbside garbage pickup is proportional to the size of the city. Below a certain size, you won't have curbside pickup, but close to a big city, you are in the suburbs, so you probably would. Is today garbage day?

2. Could be true. Is the sun up? Do you in fact enjoy the sun shining in directly in your face? Maybe the warm is good after a cold winter and spring, or maybe you have bad eyes and can't stand the direct sunshine. Not enough information to objectively know. See below for sunrise information.

3. Could be true. Has the sun come up yet? Even if you can see the stars, you aren't necessarily counting them. Seeing stars is not the same as counting them.

Again, 2 and 3 are mutually exclusive answers, thus only one could be true. Either the sun is up or it isn't. If it is up, you can't see stars. Pre-dawn light would probably make the stars invisible, so both could be false. A deciding factor is how far north is your house? Are you above or below the Arctic Circle? Are there mountains or even a building that might delay the time when you could feel direct sunlight at that window?

I know full darkness in Paris in summer is as late as 10pm, so sunrise before 4am in Sweden is possible. Checking Google for a web site, I find that sunrise in Stockholm today is 3:36am, and in Helsingborg it is 4:25am. Again, since I don't know how far north your house is, there is insufficient information to know if 2 or 3 is true. Knowing the exact location of your house would allow me to exclude 2 or 3, but not prove either.

4. I know next to nothing about birds, so any answer I could give is a complete guess.

Based on the information given, I cannot say if any of the 4 options are true. There isn't enough information given, nor in my own head to know. Given you home's location, I can probably deduce if either 2 or 3 is false, but that is as close as I can get to knowing any of these.

Of course, what you have presented as facts, and possible facts might all be designed to mislead us. Given the subject of this thread, that is a real possibility. 1 and 4 assume you can hear. 3 assumes you can see at night. 2 assumes you can feel temperature. I don't objectively know that any of these are true. You probably can, but that is just another assumption on my part.

In a poetic sense, I can find an entertaining scenario based on the options. As you enjoy the warm sun, and singing birds, you are rudely interrupted by the din of garbage cans being banged around.